Sunday, April 29, 2012

Brands I'd Recommend

A list of good cosmetic/skincare/haircare brands I'd recommend~ sending out that "go green!" message whenever I can!! Even if some are the brands aren't quite organic, they're still better than that chemical-laden crap some people put on their skin. Haha.

Along with the brand, I've included the products I've used from them before, and my rating and maybe a few notes.

  • Organix
    • Coconut Milk Anti-Breakage Serum - 4/5 stars. Said to help repair damaged hair, mend split ends and frizziness, promote longer hair, reduce everyday damage, add strength and elasticity. Has coconut oil, silk and keratin proteins. Smells really good, feels nice too! Does indeed smooth out hair.
    • Image Detail
  • Garnier Fructis
    • Pure Clean Finishing Paste - 3/5 stars. Said to give 24-hr definition to layers and no stickiness. No silicones, dyes, or parabens. This one smells good too, and did accentuate and texturize short hair, but as my hair is growing out I find that it's gradually getting less effective.
    • Image Detail
  • Yes To Carrots
    • Yes To Cucumbers Soothing Daily Gentle Cleanser - 2/5 stars. Claims to deep clean for sensitive skin. 96% natural ingredients. It feels smoothing as you apply, but it's just an ehh product. No amazing outcomes, but it didn't make me break out either. It feels the same as using regular soap, but my skin feels dirty again in a short amount of time.
    • Yes To Tomatoes Clear Skin Daily Clarifying Cleanser - 3/5 stars. Says it'll maintain your skin's pH balance while removing excess oil and impurities. 96% natural ingredients. I liked the feeling, but like the cucumber one, the clean feeling really doesn't last very long.
  • Alba Botanica
    • Natural Acnedote Deep Pore Wash - 4/5 stars. Said to dig deep into pores, unclog gunk, banish existing zits, prevent new ones. Has salicylic acid from Willow Bark Extract and is 100% vegetarian. I think it works, though the formula is a bit runny... but it's very refreshing and feels almost medicinal.
    • Image Detail
    • Natural Hawaiian Moisture Cream Smoothing Jasmine & Vitamin E - 4/5 stars. Said to provide intense nourishment, hydration, and softening without making skin greasy. Has vitamin E, jasmine, and papaya, is hypo-allergenic, and 100% vegetarian. I really love this product, which is especially helpful in the winter, and I use it every night on my dry areas - cheekbones, above the lips, etc. It feels really nice and gives sort of a clean glow. The smell is a little strong though, almost burning if you put it anywhere near your eyes.
    • Image Detail
  • Aveeno
    • Positively Radiant Cleanser - 5/5 stars. Lifts away dirt, oil and makeup without overdrying skin. Has Soy extracts and is noncomedogenic and hypoallergenic. I use this every morning, and it feels gentle and doesn't strip away oils so my skin doesn't feel too dry.
    • Image Detail
  • Physicians Formula
    • Organic Wear 100% Natural Origin Mascara - 4/5 stars. Claims to provide five times the amount of lash length, volume, and definition. 100% recyclable, completely free of harsh chemicals, dyes, and synthetics, and hypoallergenic. This product is super natural, and I love it. It defines the lashes (not so much in volume, and maybe a little change in length) and appears natural too, not ridiculously over the top like some other mascaras. It does smell a little bit like the natural goodiness of dirt though, and the formula takes a while to dry.
    • Image Detail
WHAT I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND:
  • TIGI
    • Love Peace Planet Totally Beachin' Body & Waves Styling Mist - 1/5 stars. Supposed to act as a scrunching spray; has coconut water and sea kelp to nourish hair, pineapple and sea salt to add texture and body. 82% organic. It feels so uncomfortable; the smell is alright, very coconut-ish, but the sea salt completely counteracts the effects of coconut water and sea kelp. It seemed to look alright at first, but after a little while, my hair just got bigger and frizzier - not to mention how stripped it felt from the sea salt.
    • Image Detail
  • ABBA
    • Pure Shine Spray - 2/5 stars. Said something about protecting hair and making it shinier as well. 100% vegan, with black mica pepper crystals. Smells so weird - just like pepper, but harsher. If I even spray twice in the same area, my hair gets greasy and limp. The oil is also dry, which is uncomfortable. No changes in glossiness or frizziness or shininess.

1 comment:

  1. The Positively Radiant Cleanser is my personal holy grail cleanser. Having acne-prone skin, I have such a hard time finding a cleanser that doesn't irritate my skin.

    You have some good finds! I'll try some out. :3

    ReplyDelete