Wednesday, August 14, 2013

"The Blue Lagoon" by Henry De Vere Stacpoole (1908)

 
Stacpoole's often-filmed 1908 romance is a classic of lyrical beauty, as two children are castaway on a beautiful island and grow up there, innocent of the real world.

I had this on my Kindle for a while, and had never gone past the second chapter, just because of various distractions. Finally, I sat myself down and finished reading it to the end, and here are my thoughts on the book.
  •  This book is interesting and great for reading on a rainy day with a cup of tea (which was how I read it). Paddy's accent in the beginning made it sort of hard to understand, but that was a challenge I enjoyed and it added on to the language in the story.
  • The narration altogether is a little detached, which is not surprising for a third-person, but the author tells the story clearly. I enjoyed it.
  • The beginning was a little slow (before they get shipwrecked), but I think that most adventure or survival books start out at a slower pace than the latter parts because they're trying to establish the backgrounds of the characters.
  • Honestly, the only reason why I'm not giving this full points is because I wasn't quite sure how to sum up the plot - and then I realize there wasn't really much of a plot. Which is fine, since not all books have to have a plot, but thinking back on it, the story is just weaving a tale of how two children survive on their own and discover the simple joys and frustrations of life. It's realistic and very interesting, but there's not a lot of depth and emotions in it.
  • I loved the ending. If you continue reading on to its sequels, then I suppose you'll find out whether or not the characters are still alive; and if you don't, then... well, it's your interpretation. Personally, I probably will not continue to its sequel, so I'm free to imagine. The whole juxtaposition between sleeping and death is beautifully incorporated.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment