Thursday, June 14, 2012

Chinese Mood for Mexican Food

My dad's been in a strange sort of phase lately. He keeps asking me to make Mexican food for dinner. Last night was steak quesadillas, tonight it's going to be burritoes.

Not that I'm complaining. I get to experiment around a little more, and... it's fun. Just added a bit of Chinese flavor to it as well^^ Chex fusion for the win!!

^Steak quesadilla: place tortilla on pan heated low-medium, sprinkle mozarella cheese on top (my dad added cheddar to one of the quesadillas too, even though I dislike the sharp flavor of cheddar :/), put strips of already-cooked steak after the cheese has somewhat melted, and add onions and other condiments as needed! Then heat up another tortilla, sprinkling cheese on top, and when it's halfway melted, combine the two tortillas together!

We also added Chinese leek inside... just because we had so many left over from the previous night, haha... Chinese people hate to waste food.

^I prepared this stack of burritoes entirely by myself because my dad went out golfing. First, cook the red and orange peppers and sweet onions thoroughly until the flavor comes out. I added salt and black pepper, and also some mushroom soysauce to the vegetables. Then I cut up the leftover steak meat into cubes, and heated them up, and seasoned with teriyaki sauce.

I then just placed this delicious combination inside the tortilla. I also cut up some scallions, sprinkled it on the combination. And homemade guacamole - made it using avocadoes, fresh lime juice squeezed by hand, Japanese mayonnaise, and salt. Mash it all together! And then add some on top. Roll up the tortilla like a burrito... I completely guessed how to, because I have never done this before, but what does it matter if the shape doesn't exactly match? It's the taste that counts!!

And just because I'm weird, I ate mine with a small dab of Siriachi sauce on top. Sometimes, I feel so glad to be a Chinese-American... I have strange taste, but I don't care because I enjoy eating too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment