Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Teavana's White Ayurvedic Chai Tea Review

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/Teavana/31334_d?$slge$ 

Journey to India and take in all its exotic pleasures with this modern twist on a sweet and spicy classic. High quality white tea combines with cinnamon, coconut, pineapple, ginger, cardamom, and cloves giving this tea complex, sweet, full-bodied flavor. This proud chai's aroma and spicy flavors deliver a melange of deliciousness sip after heavenly sip. CONTAINS NUTS.
 
Naturally sweet cinnamon with spicy pepper and robust clove.

Price: $10 per 2 oz; $5 per oz
Preparations: 1.5 tsp, 175 degrees F, 2 min.

  • Because this is a white tea, you can't expect it to be strong, so it's not particularly powerful. The cinnamon brings just enough kick to have a sweet and spicy aftertaste however, and that's nice.
  • I honestly prefer this to chai. It doesn't have as much caffeine, and it's not as sweet. I would advise against adding milk, but perhaps that's just me being Chinese... Just keep in mind that's it's more of a white tea than a typical chai tea, despite having the similar flavors.
  • I honestly couldn't taste any of the pineapple or coconut pieces - so when I saw them on the ingredient list, it surprised me. There's more cinnamon, pepper, clove, ginger, and cardamom - all of the exotic spices. So don't expect a whiff of the tropical.
  • This tea is somewhat delicate and harder to brew perfectly - definitely don't oversteep for more than two minutes or have it with piping hot water considerably warmer than 190 degrees F, because then it gets somewhat bitter. More flavor, yes, but not necessarily the type of flavor you can savor.
  • Seems like a very healthy tea - perhaps it's the ginger in it, but when I had a bad cough during the winter season, drinking the tea helped alleviate it. However, it stains my plastic braces on my teeth to an unappealing yellow-ish color. If you don't have braces, you probably won't have this problem.
  • I like it overall, but I couldn't understand all the hype it was receiving. To me, it just seemed like an okay tea, not bad, but not very memorable either. Perhaps that's just because I prefer stronger teas overall, whether smoky, spicy, or fruity.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment