Friday, April 12, 2013

Undergraduate Research Forum

So I was really completely blown away by all these things that undergrad students were doing. Pretty daunting tasks, but they were up to it and they were proud to present what they had discovered.

Respect. Definitely respect them. I had been inspired a little time ago, by a guy I'll call P (convinced me that Dean's Scholar was one of the best programs ever invented in the UT system and gave me a new choice to consider for the future), and this acted as another inspiration.

I don't know... I get super happy around really smart and hard-working people. It makes me want to be one of them one day, and have other people respect me.



Go go Bioprospecting! I really liked this stream, even though I'm pretty sure research is not the right path for me (not long-term anyway). I still want to be a Pharmacist more than anything, but I definitely want to look into alternative or oriental medicine as well, and maybe I can do some research on that in the future.

Anyway... my professor from last semester offered me an opportunity to work as his undergraduate TA next semester, which is quite exciting. We get paid, I get to stay in the lab environment (while not being completely immersed in a white lab coat), and this is quality experience really.

I know it might sound really naive of me, but... I really believe it all starts here. In college. As students, we do have the power to change the world. Especially UT Longhorns, with our extensive networking and renowned undergrad research. So if I can help others decide, having once been in their place, I would love to help train some kickass undergrad researchers. We can really change the world - success all depends on opportunity, after all.

This week has been going super well. Got a 100 on the Chem quiz (class average is a 73 for that quiz) - this boosts my quiz average up to a 97.5, which makes me pretty happy. Went to a birthday party, got plenty of free food, and caught up with a few old friends as well.

Of course, it's been super busy as well, but I know it'll all be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment