Sunday, February 9, 2014

Things Are Looking Up

So... update time!

On working out:
I started training for a 10K run with B and N about a week ago! (And yes, I finally got around to not being antisocial anymore and studied/ate out with N. We've clarified that she misses me and my strange quirks, and I miss her and her tough love.) N is now my personal trainer and B is my running partner, which is fucking awesome. Love the arrangement!



On academic ambitions:
Secured an interview to University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill! My neighbors (or, as I like to call them, my "American parents") gave me the phone number of an alumna, and so last night I called her to ask for some pointers on standing out during the interview process, and she was so very helpful. She even offered to write a recommendation letter for me, which was an offer I really appreciated but couldn't accept, since the deadline had already passed and she didn't really know me personally yet. But she was very sweet, and talking to her really made me more at ease.

I also talked to J, one of my brother's old friends, who recently had an interview with University of Texas at Austin's pharmacy school... He gave me great advice as well but was super surprised at the fact that I even applied to pharmacy schools this year, and for a moment that annoyed me because I thought he thought I was weird, but my brother later reassured me that he was just impressed. Haha. Maybe I'm still more self-conscious than I think I am.




On study groups:
So PLUS is looking pretty good right now... Last week, we had our first meeting, and our study group size was just right. I was scared we'd be overwhelmed, but then also worried we wouldn't have anyone show up... But five people, including me and my partner, seems to be just right! We were super productive, and I was very happy because these were three people I had always talked to casually as classmates, but we ended up becoming pretty good friends by the end of the session.

I also like my partner. He's in Plan II Honors, Pre-med, and the professor likes him. It makes it easier for me to pass over questions to him, so he can ask the professor without getting a glare in response.

I also like being sort of an authority figure. I mean, as a PLUS preceptor, you don't really have authority, but you have some power through the connection to the professor and access to extra information and practice problems. It's nice feeling valuable and getting just a little bit ahead of the class.


On crushing hard:
It's a little ridiculous how pathetic I am... So I've been coming into lab almost every day to "check" on my bacteria even though he's reassured me it's growing very well, going to every one of his office hours (twice a week!), and just talking to him about the subject he's teaching even though honestly, I'm not that passionate about it... He must think I'm a really motivated student for doing that, but I always feel ridiculous during our actual lab times, when I still can't properly examine the bacteria through the microscope because in its odd, parfocal way, it takes forever to get it adjusted just right. And then I get really nervous if he's watching my table, but a little distressed if he's not... I guess these are the classic symptoms of a crush.

I don't know how I can be any more disappointed in myself, haha. I wish I could have a crush on someone who is more attainable, but... eh. I always did have a thing for mentor figures and older guys.

On things I need:
First of all, I love being busy, but this week is going to suck. I'm going bowling tonight to relieve some stress, after finishing up my lab report and studying ochem of course.

Second of all, I need some formal clothes for the interview. I do want to look professional and nice, and it'll be great.

I also need to stop writing and get back to work.

tldr;; I'm in love with me again and am feeling hope for the future... just goes to show that even as some opportunities fade away, others open up! Even if you get a rejection letter from your dream school, you might get an interview from an even better school!

No comments:

Post a Comment